Sunday, August 28, 2011

No round of a-paws needed

Ok cheesy title... so sue me!

By a show of paws... who hates their cat bed?



If you're a pet owner with no kids then your pets turn into your kids.. am I right? Fur babies. They are so spoiled and they totally know it. It's sad when you're parents ask you how their grand-cats are.

Since I've been spending so much time making the human parts of the house look nice, the kitties were a little neglected. Time to spoil them some more. We have the cat beds that you can get at pet stores but they get so dirty and covered in hair SO quickly. They aren't attractive when they look like another cat! I was poking around Ikea Hackers, some people that had taken doll beds and other kinds of random ikea pieces and turned them into pet bedding. I found the doll bed at Ikea that I knew I could turn into a one of a kind, special resting spot for my boys.


The bed came with bedding for a doll, it was pretty thin. I wanted some pretty fluffy stuff for my pretty fluffy cat. I bought a cheap pillow insert at Ikea for a couple euro. The Fjadrar inner (silly swedes) in 16x24. I bought some fabric in the same pattern that I made our throw pillows out of for the couch. It, too, was from Ikea. God! I love this store! The material is Sofia, in case you are wondering.

I made a quick little envelope style pillow case. This way I can remove it and toss it in the laundry. The pillow fits perfectly!

Our living room has black wood furniture--- this was a job for spray paint! I went down to the local Leroy Merlin (it's like the Italian version of Home Depot or Lowes) and picked up a can of black paint for a couple euro. A couple coats later and it looks like I spent a million dollars at one of those hoity-toity pet boutiques!

Being that we lost our scratching post in the move.. I also wanted to make the bed double as a scratching post. Our NEX had sisal rope for $1.97.. SCORE! Little bit of hot glue and we are good to go!

Isn't it sweet?!?! We also put some of those furniture stick on pads to the bottom of the posts. This way the bed can move around without screeching.

Captain loves it, Beemer won't go near it-- I figured as much. He's a bit of a drama queen. Once the other cat touches it, he doesn't want anything to do with it. lol.


Our resident sleep expert gives it a snooze of approval. :) 

5 paw rating!




** EDIT **

I added a vinyl from Uppercase Living

No comments:

Post a Comment