Thursday, September 15, 2011

Pre Halloween Decorations & a little bit of slackin'

Hey everyone...

I've been slacking a little. It's been really hot out and that makes me lazy lol.


I am happy to say that it is finally fall and the weather is cooling down. I've got a bunch of projects in my radar right now. I am going to be throwing my first ever (yes-- EVER) Halloween party. I know, I'm 26 and never had my own Halloween Party. As a kid we never really celebrated Halloween. There are only a handful of times I even remember trick-or-treating around the neighborhood.

I've started to decorate the living room. If I start now I have a whole month before Halloween! Giggity!!


I recently went to a friend's Party lite party. I LOVED all the cute Halloween decorations but I just can't bring myself to spend all that money on something I'm just gonna burn. I did, however, buy some of the decorations. In the first picture you can see the Momma cat and her kitten tea light set. SO cute on my coffee table.

I fell in love with their 5" pillar candle that looks like candy corn. My favorite Halloween candy is candy corn.. I can set aside all knowledge of the upset stomach that comes after eating a handful. But at $18 for one candle, thats a stomach ache right there! I don't plan on burning this candle so I figured what do I care what it smells like anyway. I knew I could replicate this... and just like that I'm on the hunt.

I went to my favorite place, yep you know it.... IKEA. Ever strolled into the sale section? It's like a treasure trove! Cabinet doors, "broken" goods, fabric remnants... "damaged" candles. I got 2 candles for €1,50 each. They were a little dirty but I'm gonna fix that anyway and no one is gonna see it. Beats paying €2,99!

Earlier this week I went into the fabric district with some girl friends and I was lucky enough to find a store that sold glitter. SCORE! I got gold, orange and white for €2 each.






I measured the candles and marked it in thirds. Took some painters tape and taped off the bottom third. This project is gonna take me some time! Good thing I've got the entire first seasons of Bewitched and Munsters! I hope this works out and gives me a decently clean edge.

Place some wax paper/parchment paper/or a flexible craft mat underneath where you are working in order to catch the left over glitter.

Next, squeeze some elmers glue around the bottom third and spread it around with your fingers. It's a sticky job! Then take your glitter, in this case its the bottom color layer of the candy corn. Don't worry about excess as it will just end up on the paper and you can funnel it back into the container. This way you can reuse the glitter. Let this dry! I don't know for how long but I'm giving it at LEAST an hour (thats about 3 episodes of Munsters).

I haven't started the other layers yet but I will post those when I do.

**EDIT**

added the 2nd layer of orange.. giggity!!
they aren't perfect but they are handmade and one of a kind.



**RE- EDIT**
 Finished the last layer and they are up in the candle holders now!



Partylite Candy Corn Candles $18 x2 = $36 +shipping
My Candle project (after € to $ conversion)

Candles: $4
Glitter : $8.30
Glue & tape: already had it
TOTAL: $12.30

yeah.. how about them apples?



Here are some other things I've done to start preparing for Halloween:

Felt bat pillow





Isn't he cute?! I've got one more to make so keep your eyes peeled for the post on that.



Drippy blood candles

Will DEFINITELY make more of these!


So excited for Halloween! :)

2 comments:

  1. woo i love the kitties and pillow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh!!! They are coming together! Can't wait to see everything together! (Bobi)

    ReplyDelete