Friday, August 19, 2011

Dinner on the fly... no fly on the dinner!

I was at a loss when it came to making dinner tonight. I thawed out some boneless skinless chicken, but like a lot of things I've tackled lately, its a blank slate.

Earlier this week, some girlfriends of mine and myself found this middle eastern "fast" food place in downtown Catania. I ordered a chicken tikka wrap, it was pretty darn good! I remembered that and attempted to make it tonight. For a second I was drawing blanks but then I remembered that a couple weeks ago I bought this spice mix in the grocery store. Thank you McCormick!! Luckily I had everything I needed... SCORE! I was so excited that I wanted to share this endeavor with you all. These spice blends are so flippin' sweet. Every spice needed to accomplish the recipe is pre-measured and the recipe card is on the back of the package. GENIUS!

I had already thawed out the chicken. Just needed to juice a lemon, which I actually had on hand!



Chicken Tikka Masala
*according to McCormick, by all means make this if you have the ingredients on hand.

2 tsp Paprika
1 tsp Minced Garlic
1 tsp Garam Masala
1/2 tsp Cumin
1/2 tsp Crushed Red Pepper (added for taste- optional)
2 tbsp Butter
1 1/2 lbs Boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into cubes
1 medium onion, chopped
2 tbsp lemon juice-- fresh if possible!
1 14oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
1/3 cup heavy cream
1 tbsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp salt

1. Melt the butter in a large non-stick skillet on medium heat. Add your chicken, the onion and the lemon juice. Cook the chicken til its no longer pink, about 10 min. Add all the spices, except the red peppers. Cook for about a min.

2. Stir in the tomatoes.

3. Mix the heavy cream with the cornstarch and salt til smooth. Pour into the chicken and stir. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 5 min, constantly stirring.

4. Serve with rice, naan bread, couscous, or in a wrap like I did with romaine lettuce.



1 comment: