Sunday, July 3, 2011

Pampered Chef: Mojito Torte!

OK so this is not a family recipe, I got it from The Pampered Chef. I've made it three times now and I get requests left and right for this delicious, minty, rum laden cake. It's perfect for summer BBQ's and really easy to make.


Creamy Mojito Torte

1/2 Cup + 2 tbsp Rum, divided (the recipe calls for dark but I prefer to use Bacardi)
1 Pkg of butter cake mix (+ingredients to make the cake- ie eggs, butter*, water)
1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
3 limes
1 pkg cream cheese, softened
1/2 tsp mint extract

in the cookbook it also calls for whipped topping to fold into the frosting-- i leave this out
*I use oil in place of the butter-- creates a more moist cake


First thing you're gonna do is preheat your oven to 350C (180F). Then spray your cake pans, I'm using the Pampered Chef torte pans, with a non stick baking spray. Cut 2 rounds of parchment paper to fit into the bottom of the pans. 


When mixing the cake according to the box directions--- substitute 1/2 cup of water with 1/2 cup of the rum. Usually a box cake mix calls for 2/3 cup of water. Pour in the rum to hit the 1/2 cup then fill to 2/3 with water. Whisk this till smooth and then evenly distribute it into the cake pans. Bake these for about 15 min or until a toothpick comes out clean.


While the cakes are cooling on the counter, make your glaze. Take 1/4 cup of the powdered sugar and combine it with the 2 tbsp of rum. When you take the cakes out of their pans, brush the glaze on. 




For the filling, zest 2 of the limes for about 2 tsp of zest. Juice the limes for 3 tbsp of juice. Mix all the lime zest, juice, mint extract, powdered sugar and cream cheese til smooth. In the original recipe it says to fold in the whipped topping. Personally I leave this out because I HATE cool whip. I would rather make it myself, I have before. It's so simple. One day I will make it with homemade whipped cream but for now.. I leave it out. 

When the cakes have cooled, frost the bottom layer, top with the 2nd round and then frost the top layer. If you want to get fancy with it you can pipe the edges on with a star tip. I decorate with the 3rd lime sliced into half rounds. 



This recipe comes from the Season's Best Recipe Collection from Spring/Summer 2010.

Hope you all have a wonderful 4th of July... drink responsibly!

No comments:

Post a Comment