Thursday, January 28, 2016

Taking a stroll through Powells book emporium in downtown Portland is always eventful. I had the opportunity to do so this afternoon on a class trip. It's incredible how many books are packed into this store. Of course my favorite section is going to be the cooking and baking books. Are you really surprised?

Latley I've been really into following the works of Dominique Ansel. I wrote a previous post about his incredible edible creations. Today I stumbled upon a book titled "Dominique Ansel The Secret Recipes". It was a lovely book, simple in design and there was a forward written by award winning chef Daniel Boulud.

As I thumbed through the book drooling over its photography, I stopped on the macaron section. While the photos had me mesmerized. It was the words that caught my heart. "That first bite was always an experience: a gossamer-thin shell that crunched slightly with the gentle pressure of your teeth, which then sank into a moist, tender center with a vibrant burst of flavor." Perfectly describes how it should be when biting into one of these cookies.

One excerpt that had me at the heart strings.. "In a sense, a macaron must live a little and come into its full character with time.." This hit home. Not just in regards to a cookie, but in regards to my life. I've gone through a lot of rough times in the last 2 years. And it's taken me time to rebuild and reinvent myself. I've become a late bloomer because of it. It's interesting to me that it can be said about the macaron. That it takes time to rest, absorb from its surroundings, enrich its flavor before it can be enjoyed by its consumer. Perfect metaphor.

No comments:

Post a Comment